A package of travel options comprising or equivalent to:
- Zero car ownership
- Up to 5,000 km long-distance train travel
- Up to 5,000 km bus and short-distance train travel
- Up to 1,000 km car travel (e.g. taxi, car club, lift-share), on average shared with one other person
- Walking & cycling for most short journeys
- Minimal ferry travel
- Zero cruise ship travel
- Minimal travel on speed boats, steam trains, helicopters or other very high emissions vehicles/ vessels
You can tailor these distances to create a travel package with equivalent emissions that suits your personal circumstances more closely.
Meeting this target would, on average in the UK, emit 0.7 tCO2e per capita per year.
Note distances of longer/ irregular journeys and their transport mode;
Estimate distances for daily commute and repeated leisure trips (if not walking or cycling).
The following academics, scientists and engineers working in climate change have committed to target 2 - travel by land and sea.
The following members of the public have committed to target 2 - travel by land and sea.